Daily Friction #372
Author: amorson , Filed under: Daily Friction
Produce music on your Linux system, conduct research on Scientific Linux, find the top 5 antivirus applications for mac, set up MySQL database replication with SSL encryption, unit test Google engine app, build CSS cacheer into your website, get many different free icons and much more in today’s edition of the Daily Friction.
Software and Services
- LMMS – Linux MultiMedia Studio – LMMS is a free cross-platform alternative to commercial programs, which allow you to produce music with your computer. This includes the creation of melodies and beats, the synthesis and mixing of sounds, and arranging of samples. You can have fun with your MIDI-keyboard and much more; all in a user-friendly and modern interface.
- Scientific Linux (SL) – is a Linux release put together by Fermilab, CERN, and various other labs and universities around the world. Its primary purpose is to reduce duplicated effort of the labs, and to have a common install base for the various experimenters.
- The Top 5 Antivirus Applications For The Apple Mac – Protecting your computer from the latest threats on the internet is a big deal, more so than at any time in the past. There was a time when these criminals only went after the big fish and that meant targeting computers using the Windows operating system. Now, however, the Mac is growing in popularity and so presents itself as a juicier target.
- How To Set Up MySQL Database Replication With SSL Encryption On Ubuntu 9.10 – This tutorial describes how to set up database replication in MySQL using an SSL connection for encryption (to make it impossible for hackers to sniff out passwords and data transferred between the master and slave). MySQL replication allows you to have an exact copy of a database from a master server on another server (slave), and all updates to the database on the master server are immediately replicated to the database on the slave server so that both databases are in sync. This is not a backup policy because an accidentally issued DELETE command will also be carried out on the slave; but replication can help protect against hardware failures though.
- Unit tests for Google App Engine apps – Run unit tests, how… where… why…
- CSS Cacheer – While playing about with the data: protocol and base64 encoding to embed images in CSS (thereby cutting down on the number of requests made for additional files) I hit upon an idea: what if the server could detect capable browsers and automatically embed any images referenced in the CSS it was serving? Like some kind of, I donâ€™t know, server-side CSS pre-processor?
- 30 Amazing Free Vector Icons, Buttons, Stickers, Banners, Labels and Speech Bubbles.
- The Open Share Icon Project – The project’s mission: designing, implementing and evangelizing the open share icon project – a free, open, community driven alternative.
By writing about and linking to the articles/products/software on this page I do not endorse or testify to the reliability of them in any way or form.